Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Should I be happy?

So, I went to a concert this past weekend with some friends to listen to the SF Bach choir sing early choral works from Britain. I was unfortunately less than pleased.

The organ was overbearing, particularly when I was trying to hear the straight-tone, singing-style that is always associated with this era of music, however all I could hear was the organ's drone overpower any attempts. More upsetting was the fact that even with the organ supporting the 4 part harmony, the sopranos were consistently flat with poor sound quality; shrill to say the least.

Overall, all I could hear was mush, no phrasing, and little-to-no special moments where I might get chills or just say to myself, "Wow". Should I just be happy that this music is still performed at all? Or should I be disgruntled that I paid $30 to hear this? I think the SF Bach choir should stick to Bach....

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Poor NoisyV! Maybe they were making a statement; somebody made them perform something other than Bach, so they performed poorly in protest.

nie-nie said...

don't you hate that? paying a lot for bad music. i don't know why organ players think they have to over power the singer, actually i hate it when pianists do that too... *sigh*

thanks for letting me know about sf bach choir. do you know how they perform bach? do they sing well? i'm a little worried if the sops are flat and consistently at that... how good could they be with pure bach?

forget them let's just do our duets and get some food afterwards. now that sounds like fun!