This past weekend, I went with Skankers the Squirrel to the De Young Museum for its reopening after 6 years(?). It was completely rebuilt and I found it to be just fascinating. We went at 10 o'clock at night so we were shocked when the line was still 90 minutes long!! I didn't want to stay and wait, but Skankers really wanted to, so I said oooooooooooooooooooook, and it was totally worth it. Thanks Skankers!! Also, this museum is in the middle of Golden Gate Park, so it's not like I didn't have really pretty trees and plants to look at while I was waiting.
People's outfits were interesting as well. Girls my age and younger's outfits were so boring even though they were trying to be hip. They were almost all wearing tight jeans, some light weight neutral color cotton t-shirt, an old ugly sweater and there hair was all messy. I guess that's the look here for young people??? I think they were trying to be all bohemian and different but it was just sloppy and they looked like everyone else. The women in their 30s and older had some really cool outfits on. Great fabrics, colors, etc. People watching was great.
Once I got in the museum, there were great exhibits on Oceanian art/artifacts, African Art/artifacts, American paintings, textiles (my favorite because they had BEAUTIFUL dresses dating all the way back to the 1700s!!!!!!! Just gorgeous.. the tapestries were wonderful as well. My favorite was Peruvian), furniture, and just so many things. Some of the exhibits weren't open yet, so I plan on going again. The gift shop, although a little pricey, had some really beautiful things as well. I had fun playing all the African musical instruments although I think the people working there probably hated me given the fact that is was 2:00 am at that point in time. :)
The building itself is a work of art and there are all these hidden places that you can look out on the city and other exhibits from a different perspective. If you don't like modern architecture, you will probably think it's ugly. The people behind us in line kept saying how hideous it was, but I disagree. I think at night it is particularly beautiful. If you haven't gone yet, GO!
2 comments:
Aww..."The women in their 30s and older had some really cool outfits on." Look who's disenfranchised with today's younger generation! Sounds like you’re transitioning from a girl to a woman!! :)
References to Britney Spears are not only shocking... but hurtful!! :( I'm not a big hick!!!
Post a Comment