Every so often, I turn on WGN news (Chicago news) to see what's going on in one of my favorite cities. On Friday, I flipped to it only to see that one of my favorite places in Chicago is no longer. Macy's has bought out Marshall Fields and has renamed all of the stores. Why should I care so much about a store? Well it had character, it had history, it was unique, and most of all it gave me many memories growing up. I don't want Macy's sleek metalic feel to destroy my old-world department store with split stair-cases and Frango mints that can make you melt. Most of all, I associate this store with my grandparents, and because of that it breaks my heart just a little more.
Macy's has also bought out Burdines in Florida which really has some unique and wonderful items that fit in perfectly with Floridian/Miami style. Part of me wants to hate Macy's for their demolitian of regional individuality, but I know that many things that I care about won't be around forever and people can't move on if they don't ever let go of the past.
P.S.
good news... Macy's is still selling Frangos... I just checked on the website!
1 comment:
They took over LS Ayres here in Bloomington recently. I went to check out the changes, but it looked basically the same.
Post a Comment