Friday, August 12, 2005

Aloha Day

I love aloha day. It's such a wonderful word that has been turned into a cheesy tourist rant, which I am guilty of butchering myself. :( Although it is used to say hello and good-bye, the other meanings, affection, love, compassion, mercy, and peace are really quite beautiful. I love Aloha day because Aloha was the last word my grandfather spoke. After not being able to say anything for days at a time, he mustered up the strength to say "Aloha" while we were talking to him about our family trip to Hawaii. It must have been one of his favorites. It was so hard staying strong while we sat around his bed singing his favorite songs to him. I am sure he wanted to chime in so badly. He had the most beautiful voice, and I can still hear him singing in my head all those hymns he used to sing at mass... just beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow the word aloha means a whole lot to me now that i know it was one of granpas last words. but i also feel real guilty i didnt get to see him one last time or say goodbye. but i think its really kewl of u to sing to someone during their final days. lots of love cuz
love Dugg