All I have to say, is it's about freaking time! What year is this? Stupid boothbabes who make women look and feel cheap, and stupid men that ogle them. I'm sure some companies will gladly pay the $5000 fine to keep their sluts. It's such a slap in the face for women in the industry.
4 comments:
I really don't want to see booth men. I want to go to a video game convention as a PROFESSIONAL and not feel uncomfortable or offended. I don't see it as morality, but common courtesy to women. If it's ok to have sex thrown in our face at a professional conference, then why do we even bother having rules in the work place about appropriate behavior towards the opposite sex? I do work at a GAME company after all...
behr, as you say, the removal of booth babes is not going to impact the innovation of games and I fail to see how it puts game designers on that track. My office wouldn't allow me to dress like that at work, does that mean I can't be innovative? How is trying to prevent the alienation and marginalization of female gamers and female designers forcing morality on you? How is being respectful to women oppressive? Even if not having equal sleaze was the problem (and I do hope you were kidding with this suggestion), you do know that giving us booth boys is not the same as giving you booth babes? (Hint: Women are not really the target audience of Playgirl)
It's true that games like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines are marginalised in the marketplace because their morality does not co-incide with main stream morality. Then again, Silent Hill (in the same horror game genre) is going to be a movie now...so here's hoping?
I'd love to see adult-content 'R' rated games like those get more respect -- they usually have very strong stories, which is (in fact) what I think is going to draw more women into games. However, I'm not sure how Booth Babes are going to bring on that kind of mainstream acceptance. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it has the opposite effect.
I've no idea what people were on about with respect to Ms. Jackson. In fact, I think that overreacting to something often has the opposite effect to what you intended, as with censorship.
I must also concede that I thought the $5000 fine was a bit dissapointing. It seems like more of a cash grab than a serious attempt. Some of the articles on this say something slightly more hopeful, though:
"The models themselves would be required to dress appropriately before they are allowed to return to the floor."
Still, I guess if they were really serious, they'd just toss the exhibitors out, instead of the models.
Post a Comment